so you’ve done it … seeing cydia app on your iPad / iPhone makes you feel like a rebel. but … now what?
here’s what i found to be – top 5 jailbreak apps :
- BEFORE you do ANYTHING – change your default password – only virus / intrusion exploited, so far is a simple fact that all of our iPhone / iPad OSes has the same, default password. so once you change your OS’ password, you’ll be safe from hackers trying to jack your phone …
[update: mobile terminal on Cydia on iPad doesn’t work.
here’s how to change your default password on your iPad]
Fire up Mobile Terminal and type the following without the brackets ;)
1. [login root]
2. [alpine] this will log you in as root.
3 [passwd] requests password change
4 Type your new password
5 Retype your password
cydia apps to install … aren’t free:
OK, OK, now the actual – top 5 / must have cydia apps
- – SBsettings – instant preference panel – after install swipe top of the screen for instant on / off swithes (wifi, 3g, etc)
- – backgrounder – allows multitasking – to be honest this is the only reason to jailbreak your iPad: listen to pandora, while browsing / run skype in the background at all times (i found this to be buggy, so get in a habit of checking if skype is on in the background … twice a day)
- – 3g unrestrictor – fulls apps into believing they are on a wifi and removes restrictions. e.g. allows skype to makes calls via 3g, download podcasts that are larger then 10gb, etc – also great on iPad, to get better quality video … if you get a decent connection on at&t …
- – lockinfo – allows for weather, cal, etc to be displayed at lock screen, without having to go to the app – i find this great for quick weather & calendar check, without having to unlock the phone [buggy on iPad at this point]
- myWi / PDA net – you don’t really need to jailbreak to enable tethering on your iPhone. but … if you would like to browse your wifi iPad … of your iPhone while out & about … those 2 apps will turn your iPhone into a mobile wifi spot :) – (this will eat your battery crazy, make sure to turn off after you’re done)
- – gv mobile – “unofficial” google voice app – if you have an account – will only work on iPhone. will display your GV number as your caller ID
other jailbroken apps:
- Rotation Inhibitor – lock your screen orientation on an iPhone as you can on your iPad w/ the “mute” button (after install -> SBSettings and touch More -> Set Toggles. Turn on the Rotation toggle)
- Recent/CallLog Delete is a mod that allows you to delete individual calls from your call history. Once installed, it adds a Edit button to the top left of your Recent Calls page in your stock Phone application … something that should come with iPhone (it’s there under text messages …), but Steve doesn’t want his wife to be able to erase her calling history.
- watch flash on your iPad / iPhone – click on how to to install iMobileCinema – unfortunately this only works on about 30% of flash videos on the web
- xyflash – avi, flv player – great app if you watch movies on iPhone, without converting them. but if you’re home, i found Air Video for iPad to be much easier
- caller ID faker – spoof your number