first of all … thx to google & logitech for a free sample of google tv … nice x-mass gift :)
now … a real world review of google tv … from a user that mostly loves “all google” products and has been using apple tv for few months.
gigaOm has a good article: 5 Ways to Save Google TV
Amen, but here are my other suggestions:
- not intuitive enough. switching between tv n web/search/apps has to be more intuitive (tab key), auto learn what I like & suggest it automatically (eg. import my iTunes fav podcasts)
- simpler remote control (keyboard is so web tv). i get the keyboard’s “need” for this product, but … remote should come with this as well
- should search for my media: videos, music n pix on my network automatically (seamless integration with iTunes and compters that have media) … the fact that it does not … made me put it right back in the box, after 1 day of using it …
- search auto suggestion – related to video/media type of searches (connecting with YouTube auto suggest)
- remove “search web, tv” options – extra click? why?
Overall: isn’t google suppose to be king of search? – it doesn’t show on this device. It seems google is playing (poorly), catchup with apple. Worst, it feels like google bought web tv (yes, that old microshaft product) and … google branded it. A
s a user it’s a confusing device: doesn’t let me watch my networked media out of the box, does web browsing, but poorly and it doesn’t do the search for media part well either … and i’m not even taking about aesthetics: too many cables and 3 times the price of apple tv.
For now, I’m missing computer for browsing & apple tv for media watching.
To compete: google would have to do all apple does and then be able to find all media content out there, automatically as well (that means bittorent and other video content too … via “rogue”, jailbrake apps).
ohh … the good? i do like the integration and easy setup with existing cable/sat box and plug-ins (although too few & limited)