I must admit, even though I’ve owned an iPad 1 for almost a year, I too got excited on the news of the “new” one. Ohh, it’s skinnier? Lighter? TWO times faster? … Has cameras?!
Decided to give a local best buy a try at 3:30pm on a Friday. And what do you know – I was the 10th person out of 11 units available at that location (what a “social” experience BTW – standing in line for i product, bonding with other dummies).
(they finally took them out of hiding, looks like around 10 … there’s hope)
Joy! Right? Well, I really wanted the black one and was upset I didn’t put my old one on eBay before the announcement (apple dropped the price by $100 and another $50 if you get refurbished iPad 1). But heck, I was “lucky”, especially after hearing crazy stories of people camping out for 3 days in the rain to get one or $900 offers for the first SPOT in line (idiots).
The excitement fades after 1/2 hour.
You get butterflies whenever you open your first apple product … viral marketing machine of that co. is just mind boggling.
But after I synced my bookmarks, few apps and started playing with this “new”, “amazing” and can’t forget “magical” device … I had a hard time finding “the it“:
- Magnetic Cover … the video blue me away, but after doing it myself twice … the “trick” gets old and you felt a bit cheated, especially at $80 for a piece of “leather” – that doesn’t even cover the back … and the alignment is … close, but not perfect (especially when you turn it around to the back)
- “Skinnier then iPhone 4″ … well, when you actually stack up against old iPad … not much difference. they actually feel very … same.
- Lighter … we are talking about 11 sheets of paper “difference”. Not noticeable either.
I do have to say, that it feels sturdier
- Cameras … Ok this feature seemed like a big one, but if you already have an iPhone … you’ll realize you don’t actually need it, except for those Skype calls. And walking around, while trying to film with an iPad … just feels awkward. Finally, when you try to edit those “films” with iMovie … you realize how crappy the resolution is. iPhone 3GS ish at best and VGA web cam up front.
(yet, you still can’t edit photos with native photo app)
- Faster … Again, I was sooo excited for this improvement. Only … to not really notice much difference after browsing the web, running few apps and playing Angry Birds (not a graphics intensive game, I know) for few hours. Yes, it feels … maybe 8% faster, things are a bit snappier, the tabs on safari sometimes don’t reload (finally! … but after few hours, they do it again).
Overall, ipad 2 is a minor improvement at best.
I actually went back to my iPad 1 and continued playing with it for the rest of the evening (so I wouldn’t put any marks on iPad 2 and can still sell it). iPad 1 was my friend again, didn’t feel old, didn’t “lack” cameras or extra juice. Immediately realized, what I really “need” is to sell my old iPad and use the $200 difference (it would take to get new one) … And get – iPad 1, 32gb … 3G, refurbished from apple (same price as new, iPad 2 wifi). Now, that’s a good “deal”! (& yes, apple wins either way)
got to “love” apple. This release is not for existing iPad owners. It’s for those suckers that have been salivating every time they saw a TV ad or heard a friend talk about it, but considered android or the fact that ipad is too damn expensive (just like iPhone 2 vs 3G).
I mean, you most likely already have an iPhone/android, computer (or few) and once you do buy it – you’ll find yourself only using iPad to: read books, check web and maybe email and watch movies when you travel. It’s an expensive toy, not a life or death necessity.
In today’s times, when you actually notice recession, maybe even unemployed like me – you have no business complaining about anything being too slow or not heaving enough features.
I still have respect for apple. Being able to make a grown, ass techie stand in line and feel special for a privilege of being stripped of 640 dollars – you got me again, apple🙂